Last year I missed Ledbury Community Day as I was out of town, but this year (on Saturday 10 June) I was determined to have a look around the town, meet some of the people who run community groups and local charities, learn more about the many things happening in and around Ledbury and snap a few photographs to help promote them.
Ledbury has a vibrant community spirit and this was in evidence at St Katherine’s Hall where many groups and charities had stands to meet the public and explain what they do. The Master’s House was also open to tours, and is the home of The John Masefield Society, an archive and library of the work of the former poet laureate who was born in Ledbury.
Around town there were many other groups explaining what they do, including the Ledbury District Bell Ringers, where I had a go at ringing the bells on their bell ringing simulator.
I met a lot of engaging people who do interesting and valuable things in their spare time as well as in their work. Here’s just a few – photograph details:
- The Ledbury Food Bank run by Ledbury Parish Church
- Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal Trust (Maggie Jones)
- Ledbury Area Cycle Forum (Bella Johnson)
- Ledbury Food Group (David McCauley)
- Salter’s Hill (support for those with learning disabilities) (Caroline Pickering)
- Visually Impaired Persons Support Club Ledbury (Chloe Randall & Elaine Fox)
- Malvern Hills Car Club (Vicky Low)
- Rotary Club of Ledbury (Martin Perry)
- The John Masefield Society (Bob Vaughan)
- The Ledbury District Bell Ringers